Wednesday, May 30, 2012

D&D Next: First Thoughts

So I have been checking out the system with a few friends in on the playtest, running through some options, and seeing what really seems to work... And so far I am loving the direction the game is taking.  Right now, two things are pointing themselves out before I go to bed:

Advantange/Disadvantage:  Excellent implementation.  As I had discussed in a previous post the math seems elegant and just about right, and the implementation definitely gives a better more heroic feel than 'oh, you get a +1/+2 bonus here or there' when dealing with 50/50 chances, while still giving a pretty nice boost on the low and high ends of the spectrum.

Spells:  Fantastic.  Spells that don't just deal damage as part of an elemental effect?  Yes please.

The feel is definitely a bit off of that you see in earlier editions, and way off of 4e.  Busted out the battlemap and went with the Theater of the Mind (pretentious much?) implementations...


Overall, though there are inflammatory complaints going on from people who don't seem to 'get it'... I am loving what I am seeing.  As always I love to hear from you so feel free to comment, and again thank you Online DM for saving me a bit of time on a post.

Good Gaming.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

.