Thursday, May 31, 2012

Things you should Place In your Next Game

A few interesting concepts to help inspire and insert into your game for that new game feel. No refunds.

I've been spending the last few days away from the blog... Missed me?  Well, I have a few weeks worth of posts set up on various topics, but I am kind of deep into looking at various intriguing images to inspire the Prataferro campaign and design in general.  Since I have been looking at a few things I figured I would share them with you.

Trees: Not just for firewood and Animated Objects.


Yes.  This is a record player interpreting tree rings into sound.  My first idea is an awesome way to interpret Speak with Dead without that whole pesky head bit... The memory is trapped within the bone, similar to the interpretation of oracle bones and the ability to read records through touch.

But then... What about treebooks?  Over time the spells used around trees in a druid's circle actually take in the natural tones and meter of magic, and can be interpreted as sound through 'reading' of the trees.  This same concept could be used for any substance that can be cut down... In fact, a mage's bones could actually serve as your spellbook.  Definitely would make for an...

Interesting Items: Rosaries, Scapulars, and Medallions:




This is a rosary made from bone.  Pretty cool little magic item, eh?  Well, the world around us is filled with various cool little trinkets, talismans, and other items.  As I discussed previously with the Ossea, you can produce numerous items of interest.  From medallions and rosaries to holy tattoos, the world of magic is filled with far too many cool little items to make a +2 Longsword or Belt of Giant Strength the end-all be-all of existence.  

I actually started a thread on unique items on ENWorld and would definitely suggest checking out some of the ideas brought up in the thread.  Awesome reading material.

What the Hell is That???

For the end of the article... Enjoy this nightmare fuel.  At the end of the day there are so many cool creatures about that I would have to write a thousand articles without even scraping the surface.  I have become fascinated by various creepies and crawlies, but this article from Discovery has given me some new things to think about.

Learning that more men have died from the mosquito than from warfare was probably the strangest thing to learn.  I mean, in an abstract way we all know that the little blighters are a menace... But think of the fact that mosquitoes and their ilk can wipe out so many through simple illness...

And don't really exist in DND.

Yeah... Definitely going to be some articles coming out around there.  If you have any further comments or more cool links to look at please place them in the comments or send them to me at my name at Gmail.com.

As Always,

Good Gaming.

Slainte,

-Loonook.








.